When you choose the Volgenau School of Engineering, you'll gain more than a degree – employers will pursue you as a valued asset.
Take a deep breath, get your paperwork together, gather your references, and apply to the university through Mason's online application process. Once you've been accepted into Mason, you can select a major in the Volgenau School of Engineering.
The Many Benefits of Mason
We're near some of the most advanced scientific and engineering research in the nation, which means you'll have amazing opportunities to gain hands-on experience through study abroad, internships, and research projects. As Virginia’s largest public research university, Mason will give you the resources and support you need to propel you into a rewarding career. It'll also be a fun four years.
- Be where the action is: Our campuses in Fairfax, Arlington, and Manassas provide Volgenau students with connections to the federal government and companies in the Dulles Technology Corridor and Loudoun County’s data centers. That proximity works both ways. Students get enhanced access to internships and positions, while area engineering, information security and tech companies come to us for the skilled labor force they need. And with federal agencies and organizations in Washington, D.C., supporting government technology and security infrastructure, federal contractors look to Mason first. Not many universities get calls from the CIA requesting that a specific degree track be offered; we do.
- Live among your fellow STEM students: Incoming Volgenau students can join the Engineering & Computing First Year Living Learning Community, which provides tutoring, career-focused field trips and guest speakers. Volgenau also has 25 student organizations, and Mason has many more. Get involved, find friends and form a campus family.
- Be a part of a global community: Mason is one of the nation's most diverse universities. Getting to know different kinds of people can help you see the world in a different way. That new perspective can boost your creativity and improve your critical-thinking skills, qualities that are highly valued in the working world. Plus, you'll have a really cool group of friends.
- Take the first steps into your career: Our alumni have careers at such places as Apple, NASA, Google, Northrop Grumman, and the Department of Homeland Security. Our faculty work with government, technology and engineering companies, and attend international conferences in D.C. These connections mean you won't have to look hard for internship and networking opportunities.
Get the most bang for your buck: More than 80 percent of Mason graduates have jobs within six months of graduation, and Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine ranked Mason as one of the Top 100 Best Values in Public College in the nation. Virginia’s State Council of Higher Education placed Mason at the top of the list of Virginia schools for highest average starting salary of recent graduates.
- Get the financial aid you need: Volgenau awards scholarships through such organizations as the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association, and the Northern Virginia Technology Council Foundation. We also offer guidelines on how to apply for awards from such groups and organizations as the Society of Women Engineers, the Virginia Department of Transportation, and the National Society of Black Engineers.
Whether you want to cheer the Patriots to victory or take part in the next Robotics World Cup, you can take pride in being part of the Mason Nation.