By Beth Pullias
The Mason Inn Conference Center and Hotel has been named a Virginia Green hotel for its sustainable practices.
Virginia Green is a statewide program that works to reduce the environmental impact of Virginia’s tourism industry, according to its website. The program works in partnership with the Department of Environmental Quality, the Virginia Tourism Corporation and the Virginia Hospitality and Tourism Association.
To become a Virginia Green location, facilities apply to the program and are accepted based on various requirements in six different technique areas: offering optional linen service, recycling, reducing solid waste, using water efficiently, conserving energy and offering green event packages.
The Mason Inn goes above and beyond the requirements for Virginia Green. Following are some of the hotel’s green practices:
- Line dry linens whenever possible.
- Use green cleaning products that are dispensed in bulk.
- Install low-flow faucets, showerheads and toilets in rooms and public restrooms.
- Use natural lighting (open draperies and raise shades whenever adequate light from windows is available).
- Instruct housekeeping staff to save and reuse unopened items.
A full list of The Mason Inn’s sustainable initiatives can be found here.