When you study at Volgenau, your classes, labs, and workshops provide the training and experience that will make you competitive when you graduate. Many of our degree programs have been designed with input from major technology companies, which gives you an edge when you're looking for that first job. Ninety percent of Volgenau undergrads find careers in their chosen fields, and 10 percent go to graduate school. Among graduate students, 93 percent find positions in their areas of study.
Engineering degrees granted in 2016
1 of 5
Schools in the country to offer a master's in data analytics engineering
MURI grant from the Department of Defense to create adaptive cyber security
Engineering based bachelor's degree programs
Graduate degree programs in engineering
Volgenau's full time faculty
Cybersecurity students in fall '16
The World is Your Classroom
Earning a degree at Volgenau will enable you to combine science, theory and application to create projects and solve problems while developing the soft skills needed for leadership and collaboration.
Volgenau, the first engineering school in the United States to focus its scholarship primarily on information technology-based engineering, is also the first university to offer a doctoral degree in information technology. We're Virginia's only school of engineering with the main campus in the D.C. area.
Our strong relationships with government and industry at the local, national and international level enables us to stay at the forefront of the field and delivers engineering courses that have employers contacting our students before they graduate.
Both graduate and undergraduate students participate in research projects — often in collaboration with faculty and industry — and contribute to design teams working in labs, gaining experience that enhances their value in the workforce or in graduate school.
- We're one of the few universities in the nation to offer a data analytics engineering master's program.
- Mason's Center for Secure Information Systems, established in 1990, was the first academic center in security at a U.S. university.
- Five Volgenau departments create technology for health care through research and study that blends medicine with advanced engineering and scientific principles.
- Our record of pushing the boundaries of electronic communication, applied computation, computer learning, and sensor networks has made Volgenau a leader in advanced robotic controls and design.
- We've earned international recognition for our 30-year record of advancement in the specialized field of signals and communication.
- As a part of the White House's "Grand Challenge" initiative, Volgenau is among U.S. engineering schools focusing on the complex yet critical field of sustainable infrastructure.
Many VSE undergraduate programs are accredited by such organizations as the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology-Engineering Accreditation Commission for the engineering programs and ABET-Computing Accreditation Commission for the computer science program.
In the next decade, Volgenau expects to continue its transformation into one of the country's largest, most comprehensive schools of engineering by expanding its programs, growing its enrollment, and increasing its research. Join us.