Director, Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Additional Roles: Assistant Professor, Management; Director of Mason Innovation Lab
Phone: (703) 993-1768
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 042
Office Hours: Tuesdays, 1-3 p.m.; Wednesdays 12-2 p.m.; or by appointment
David Miller teaches on the topics of creativity, entrepreneurship, innovation, and small business in the classroom and via extra and co-curricular activities. He serves as the executive director of the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and the director of Innovation Labs for the School of Business. He is also director of Campus Entrepreneurship in the Provost’s Office.
Miller collaborates with colleagues across campus and off campus to develop innovative, experiential learning opportunities for the Mason community. Miller and his team manage and grow more than 10 programs, a university wide entrepreneurship minor, and regional events such as the Deans’ Business Competition. His work involves continual pedagogical innovations and experiments, from offering the first free, open access 3D printer on campus to developing and delivering pop up entrepreneurship curriculum that can be embedded in any course.
His research focuses on the university as an entrepreneurial ecosystem, and offers a radical new theory on the university in the entrepreneurial economy. Miller’s data explores high growth ventures created by students (e.g. Google, Under Armour, Facebook, and Teach for America) and argues students are the most impactful commercial innovators at major research universities. Miller’s paper, The Campus as Entrepreneurial Ecosystem: the University of Chicago, outlines his theory and provides a case study on a leading university entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Higher education
- Economic history
- PhD - Entrepreneurship, Growth & Public Policy, George Mason University
- MBA - Entrepreneurship, Finance, & Strategic Management, University of Chicago
- MS - International Politics of Asia, University of London
- BA - International Relations, University of Michigan
Research and Awards
- Published an article titled, “The Campus as Entrepreneurial Ecosystem: The University of Chicago” (coauthored with Zoltan Acs) in Small Business Economics in 2017.
- Was nominated for the Career Connection Faculty Award from George Mason University Career Services for faculty who have made a positive impact on students’ career goals, employment plans or graduate school preparation in 2015.
- New venture creation
- October 13 - Trade Ideas by DX2 Capital Podcast
Interview w/ Prof. David Miller on His New Book: "Sweating Together" $PTON
- October 8, 2020 - Well + Good
Equinox’s Variis App Is Making the Best of Boutique Fitness Accessible to All
- August 6, 2020 - Well + Good
Get Ready for Omnichannel Fitness To Change the Way You Work Out Forever
- February 14, 2020 - U.S. News and World Report
10 Major Upcoming IPOs to Watch in 2020